Understanding System Templates
Step 1: Getting Started
To get Started with Templates and Triggers,
1 - click on the Templates and Triggers menu
2- click on the Custom Templates tab
Step 2: Create your first custom template
On the Custom Templates tab, select either an Email Template or a SMS Template.
- Email Templates: Hostfully provides a rich text editor for those, allowing you to format your email with different font size and colors, or embed images
- SMS Template: this is a simpler format, just allowing simple text messages
Once the editor is up, create your message and click on Save Template (Note that at this point, we don't have a content auto-save feature, so be sure to save your work often).
Step 3: Create your first trigger
Triggers essentially allow user to define the conditions that will be constantly evaluated by the system as a base to sending automated messages. Triggers can be based off the occurrence of a particular event happened on the system (like you receiving a new booking, or a new inquiry), or based off a particular scheduling criterion (send an email 2 hours after check-out of my guests). So, once you've saved your custom template, head to the Triggers tab and hit "Create a Trigger".
The Trigger creation window will come up:
This is where things get interesting. Here are the options you have when creating a trigger:
- the triggering event: you can choose a particular system event or a time-based event. Time based events are scheduled triggers that fire at a particular scheduled time before or after a system event.
- what action the system should take when the event occurs: you can trigger different kind of messages, such as email messages, SMS messages or Airbnb Messages (see below)
- filtering the condition by channel: triggers can be fired only for bookings/inquiries coming from particular channels
- filtering the condition by property: triggers can be fired only for bookings/inquiries received for particular properties
- who should be the target recipient of the message: you can select multiple recipients for the messages, such as guests, teammates or service providers. Note that in the case of SMS messages, you'll have to make sure that recipients have a defined phone number, or else they will not appear in the list of recipients if you chose SMS Message as an action
- what template to use in the message: here you can select one of the custom template to associate with this triggers. This will be the content of the message sent to the selected recipient(s)
Step 4: Creating Airbnb Message triggers
Hostfully allows you to send a message directly to a guest's Airbnb Inbox. This is an important option, which allows you to automatically keep a high response time rate on your Airbnb account.
Airbnb direct messages currently can only be sent in response to a Booking Confirmed event, and obviously, the Airbnb as the channel (see below how the channel gets automatically selected when you select the Airbnb action:
Please see this article from Airbnb to understand the importance of speedy responses to guest requests, and how this can impact your ranking in search results on Airbnb.