What is Paypal
PayPal Commerce Platform delivers a complete payments platform with the global scale and flexibility your business needs to stay competitive.
How to activate
Activate PayPal in the Hostfully Integration Zone as a Payment Processor
You will be redirected to PayPal to sign into your business account.
If you do not have a PayPal Business Account, you will be prompted to create one.
Once logged in to PayPal, you will need to grant access permissions to Hostfully, and if successful, will be redirected back to Hostfully.
You will now see the PayPal integration turned on in Hostfully and all your properties will be connected to it.
Some use cases
1. Split payments
- There is a 29-day period from the authorization creation day.
- After the 29-day authorization period has past, a new Authorization would be required for a second payment and the guest needs to go through PayPal payment screens to approve the new Authorization.
- Within the 29-day authorization period, you have below options to charge:
+ Less than the original authorization
+ Full authorization amount
+ More than the authorization amount (up to 115% of the original authorization or up to $75 USD, whichever is less).
Example: you could make an Authorization for $100 today. Then, you could capture $20 of that amount on day one. Then, before the 29th day from today, you could do another capture for $80.
2. Currency conversion fee
PayPal will charge a conversion fee:
- On guests / bookers, when their currencies are different from listed currencies of the vacation rentals.
- On vacation rental managers / owners when the listed currencies is not local currencies, and they want to deposit PayPal funds to local bank account.
- Property is in Vietnam, VND is not supported on PayPal,
- Nightly price should be represented in USD, seller (PM) wallet should be USD,
- Guest is from Europe and pays with Paypal, their Paypal wallet is EUR, guest is charged conversion fee from EUR to USD,
- Property manager might be charged a currency conversion fee by their bank for depositing USD from Paypal to their Vietnamese bank.
3. Extra added fee & how to collect it
Scenario 1: the initial payment is 100% - full reservation amount.
- Since the guest was charged and funds were transferred for the full amount, then that order is considered to be completed and nothing can be added to it after that.
- In this case the guest would need to have a new order created and go through the PayPal payment screens for this new amount (the $100 airport pickup). This would be considered a separate transaction, so you should add a note in the Line Item Details to denote this transaction is an add-on to the previous reservation.
Scenario 2: the initial payment is not 100%, and there is another due balance payment.
There is a 29-day period from the authorization creation day.
- If within the authorization period, AND the extra added fee is either up to 115% of the original authorization amount or up to US$75, whichever is less, PMs can just go ahead and process it.
- If outside the 29-day authorization period, OR the amount is going to be higher than the limits outlined above, PMs will need to create a new order for the added items (the extra days and/or airport transportation) and have the guest log into their PayPal account to approve this new order.
4. Refunds & Chargebacks
- Refunds: (Paypal keeps the transaction fee)
+ Consumer can directly request a refund from the merchant, or
+ Merchant can issue the refund to the customer via PayPal, or directly within PMP's Lead's View Order page.
This is a process where merchant and customer have opportunity to settle via negotiation first.
+ If they don’t resolve then the consumer files a complaint. The merchant has to provide evidence and Paypal provides final decision.
+ Merchants pay a $20 fee for a chargeback in the US (this could be different per country)
Supported Countries and Currencies
Countries supported by PayPal on Hostfully
ZA: South Africa
AG: Antigua and Barbuda
KY: Cayman Islands
CR: Costa Rica
DO: Dominican Republic
SV: El Salvador
GF: French Guiana
KN: Saint Kitts
LC: Saint Lucia
VC: Saint Vincent
TT: Trinidad and Tobago
TC: Turks and Caicos Islands
US: United States
PF: French Polynesia
HK: Hong Kong
NC: New Caledonia
NZ: New Zealand
SA: Saudi Arabia
KR: South Korea
AE: United Arab Emirates
CZ: Czech Republic
FO: Faroe Islands
RU: Russian Federation
SM: San Marino
GB: United Kingdom
The rental agencies (sellers) can maintain balance in their PayPal accounts in one or more of the following currencies (see bulleted list below). When the currency of payment, buyer's PayPal account currency, and seller's balance currency match, no one pays cross border fees. For example, if a German customer with EUR PayPal account books a rental with a Vietnamese rental agency maintaining balance in EUR, and the payment is processed in EUR, there are no cross-border (exchange) fees.
- US Dollar
- Australian Dollar
- Canadian Dollar
- Swiss Franc
- Czech Koruna
- Danish Krone
- British Pound
- Hong Kong Dollar
- Hungary Forint
- Israeli New Shekel
- Japanese Yen
- Mexican Peso
- Norwegian Krone
- New Zealand Dollar
- Philippine Peso
- Polish Zloty
- Russian Ruble
- Swedish Krona
- Singapore Dollar
- Thailand Baht
- New Taiwan Dollar
Questions? Contact us!
If you have any question, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org